List of Mastermind Commands
Mastermind does a LOT. Here is a list of everything that you can have Mastermind do.
Mastermind for iPhone is now available
Apple support is live. Apple users can download the Mastermind iPhone app from the Apple App Store:
Given Apple’s restrictions, the features available for iOS users will be slightly different than Android users (not everything will be available and you will still need to touch your phone to complete certain things like sending the text and calling).
Mastermind for iPhone SMS & Call confirmation
Apple will not allow any 3rd party to send SMS or make a Phone Call without the user confirmation on the actual device. Just these 2 features require user interaction with the physical device.
If you are unable to Sign-In on the Chrome Extension
Look in the Chrome Address Bar, to the right, there might be an alert icon prompting you about a Security Setting like a Pop-Up being blocked or telling you to Enable Access to 3rd Party Cookies.
Also, other extensions that deal with Security like Privacy Badger, UltraBlock or similar, might be blocking the Sign-In flow and you should add an exception for the Mastermind Auth URL.
If you are getting “The Phone did not respond in time”
Please try follow the steps on your Android phone (steps may vary slightly on your phone so please adjust accordingly):
- Go to your phone Settings and search for “Battery Optimization”
- Under Battery Optimization, click on “All Apps”
- Scroll down to Mastermind and click on it
- Select “Don’t Optimize”
Use same Gmail to sign in link Mastermind Skill and Apps
Use the same Gmail login on all Mastermind apps and skills. The Gmail is only used for identifying you as the same user across multiple devices (Amazon Echo, Android app,Chrome Browser). The Gmail address does not have anything to do with which email is synced for notifications.
You are having trouble linking the Mastermind Skill from your phone via the Alexa app
Please “force close” the Alexa app on your phone. Please make sure you have the latest version of the Alexa App from either Google Play or the Apple App Store. Re-launch the Alexa app and try to link Mastermind again.
If the linking process is still not working after force closing the Alexa app and updating the app, please do the following from your computer:
Go to your computer, open Google Chrome browser and try linking from there (make sure any popup blocker is turned off because you need to login to Gmail):
US and other non UK countries (use the computer web browser on your laptop)
UK (use the computer web browser on your laptop)
Say “Alexa Switch User” if Mastermind is all setup and still Alexa doesn’t understand
Alexa can have multiple users on the same Echo. If you setup the Mastermind skill and linked your Mastermind app on your phone all correct with the same gmail and yet Alexa just keeps saying “I wasn’t able to understand”, it could be that you are in somebody else’s account (your spouse?) on your Echo. Before sending us an angry email saying you tried everything, give “Alexa Switch User” a try and then try Mastermind again and see if that works.
Your Contacts List is empty
Please follow these steps first.
- Open the Mastermind app. Go to the Mastermind app settings.
- In the Troubleshooting section, click on Re sync contacts.
- Some HTC or ZTE phones have altered the Android operating system to make contacts unavailable to third party applications. We recommend you use the Google Contacts app from Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.contacts) and use that application as your default application for contacts. We also recommend you installing Mastermind additionally on an Android tablet that is not from one of these manufacturers and we can pick up your contacts from the tablet. They will then be available for you to text on the phone as well.
Within 10 minutes, your contacts should be synced. Ideally, you will see a notification on your phone mentioning that your contacts have been uploaded.
In the odd case that the above steps do not work, we would recommend uninstalling and re-installing the Android app on your phone (re-grant all the permissions etc).
If you get a do not have permission message, but your Android app says you have all the required permissions
- First go to the Android app, and hit the Permissions button on any of the cards in the app. Then wait a few seconds and try asking Mastermind again the same command. In 90% of the cases, this should be all you need to do.
Do the following steps only if the above step did not work
1. Uninstall the Mastermind app from your phone (make sure the icon is gone from your app list) and re-install from Google Play.
2. Login (using the same gmail login you used before when you paid and the same login you used to link Mastermind on Alexa)
3. Re-grant all the permissions
4. Wait a couple minutes for Mastermind to process your contacts
5. Ask Mastermind to send message
Look at your Alexa App Settings/History if Mastermind seems to lookup or do the wrong thing
For those who are curious to see what Alexa actually hears, go to the Amazon Alexa app on your phone, open the Settings and then go to History. Then start saying Mastermind commands (ask Mastermind to lookup contact is often a good one). Then start saying names of your friends (better if they have non-anglo names). You will see exactly what Alexa gives us to work with. We have to match that to something meaningful. You will see why writing Mastermind was extremely difficult and required us to do some complex phonetics and artificial intelligence algorithms to just get it to work. We really hope Amazon is going to do a better job of speech to text soon.
If your Notifications suddenly stop showing up on Alexa, the Chrome browser or Chromecast, try restarting your phone
If you know you have notifications but they don’t show up on either Alexa (via “Ask Mastermind What was that” or “Ask Mastermind to Get My Notifications”), try restarting your phone. This has been known to fix this type of rare issue.
Can Mastermind make a phone call through the Amazon Echo?
Mastermind has everything built in to make a call through Alexa (essentially making a bluetooth call). However, as of today, Amazon Echo and Dot devices don’t support bluetooth call pairing.
We have found a simple workaround to enable completely hands free calling from Alexa. The caveat is that you will need to buy one more piece of hardware at home (a bluetooth speaker with a microphone that supports mobile voice calls). With a device like this, you can use Mastermind to make and receive phone call completely hands-free through Alexa and the above bluetooth speaker/mic without touching your phone. The interaction would go like this:
Alexa, ask Mastermind to Turn on Bluetooth (this pairs your phone to the bluetooth speaker)
Alexa, ask Mastermind to Call John Smith (the call will be initiated by your Alexa and the interaction will be on your bluetooth speaker/mic. The phone might still be in the bedroom charging and you never have to touch it.)
…after the phonecall
Alexa, ask Mastermind to Hangup
You can either choose to leave your phone paired to your bluetooth speaker or you can choose to disconnect the pairing by saying “Alexa, ask Mastermind to turn off Bluetooth”.
It is unfortunate that the Amazon Echo does not support phone calls through their bluetooth pairing yet, but we hope they enable that in the near future. A device like Jabra Speak510 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker for Softphone and Mobile Phone (please note that we are not necessarily recommending this product, just that we are in the early test phase and it seems to be doing an adequate job) can be the bridge to allow hands-free bluetooth calling through Mastermind and Alexa till Amazon supports bluetooth phone calls directly on the Echo.
Here is a Youtube video of how to make phonecalls using Mastermind on Alexa:
Do you have a Youtube Channel with videos of how to use Mastermind?
Yes! Please subscribe to the Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZr21AyoD42qXuh1FpXQsBg
You are having trouble uninstalling Mastermind from your phone
If you have granted Mastermind the Device Administrator permission, Android makes you go through a couple more steps to uninstall the application. Please do the following:
- Drag the app to the uninstall bin.
- Then click on the MANAGER DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS when Google says that it can’t uninstall.
- Then uncheck Mastermind as a device administrator
- On the next screen hit DEACTIVATE at the bottom. It pops up a warning, hit OK.
- Then Drag the app to the uninstall bin again and it is removed from your phone.